8 Albums That Changed My Life

Use Your Illusion II (Guns N' Roses)


The year was 1992 and I was in fifth grade when my brother joined the 7 million who bought the second part of the Use Your Illusion double album. My young and impressionable mind stood no chance. Upto this day I could still whistle along "Civil War."



In Utero (
Nirvana)

In Utero was a welcome change after numbing my brains with Bon Jovi, Extreme, White Lion and the likes, even though I understood just a tenth of what Kurt was singing about back then (come to think of it, until now). I'm afraid and ashamed to say that I may be one of the reasons Kurt burnt out.

Blue Album (Weezer)

I was sold after hearing him say his name is Jonas and he's carrying the wheel. A bandmate lent me the album, and it took me a year to give it back. Rivers Cuomo is still one of my favorite singer/songwriters.



...And Out Come the Wolves (
Rancid)

The year was 1996 and I just came home from school with a copy of The Presidents of the United States of America's self-titled album. As I ran up I could hear a hoarse voice fighting its way out of our karaoke's speakers... "Took the 60 bus..." My brother told me it was Rancid, and I should wait for my turn until he's finished. I sat down cross-legged to keep my feet from involuntarily kicking. I would've danced if I could. I never imagined you could make music this good. After finishing Side B I flipped the cassette around to give it another go. If you still can't tell by now, ...And Out Come the Wolves shares the top spot of my favorite albums of all time.

Singles (The Specials)

I truly think this album was crap when I first listened to it. After finding out that they were one of Tim Armstrong's influences, I immediately went record bar hopping to find any Specials' album. It wasn't until years later that I started to realize the genius of Jerry Dammers.

Energy (Operation Ivy)

Their drums sound like aluminum basins. Their guitars sound like my acoustic after it fell down the fourteen steps of our staircase. The vocals is barely comprehensible. Still, I was (again) left staring at our karaoke, smiling from time to time as I comprehend a line or two of lyrics. My favorite album, barnone.

The Harder They Come Soundtrack (Various Artists)

This album came to me at a time when I was tired of hearing my friends' oi/street records. Aside from leading me to dig old-school Jamaican music, it also made me realize that I am indeed getting old. My favorite pick-me-up song, "Sitting in Limbo", can be found here.

Dirty Reggae/The Aggrolites (The Aggrolites)

The Aggrolites' authentic reggae beats and the gruff, slightly angry voice of Jesse Wagner gave me exactly what I am looking. A perfect mix of aggression and cool.




If you bastards would like to discover new music, I would suggest the following sites:

Pandora
RegnYouth Archives
MobTownSKASounds

Posted byfaraday

1 comments:

RON said... March 7, 2007 at 7:28 PM  

Pink Palaka the beeeeest!!!!!!!!!

wahahahaha. =P

Post a Comment