...and I will blind the world...

This post is what you get when (i) one of your best friends leaves the country for work, (ii) have a Red Horse induced debate about the future, and (iii) read The Alchemist the following days.

I always dreamed of being a musician. The first time I picked up a guitar, I knew I was destined for greatness. I've been through a lot of bands, and none of them made shit...

12th Rib/Ashe's Blue Sun - Highschool. Me on guitars, Joel, Jester and Atan. We played covers, mostly what's popular on the radio. My most memorable gig ever. Me wearing a over-sized Bench shirt and a red baseball cap pulled down low while playing Machine Head by Bush. The most embarrassing song I've ever played. Where's the Love by Hansons. We broke up after high-school, but we all remain the best of friends.

Super Combo 2000 Experience - Yea the name suxxaxx. Highschool side band. Me on guitars and backing vocals, Rom, Ramon and Ubi Jan. We played Weezer covers and some Goldfinger. Just for fun, but we did play at some private parties. We never really broke up. We are all still friends.

Pasig Punks/DIY - Please don't ask about the band name. Me on vocals and guitars, Muddy, Bangky and Baby. Formed around 2000 AD, we played Rancid, Operation Ivy, Ramones etc. We also have some songs of our own. We don't go live unless we are (or at least I am) drunk. Fiestas, parties, contests, bars, name it, we were there. I've learned that gin tastes much better when sipped through a plastic straw. They booted me out because I was always late. No hard feelings, we're still friends.

Guy and Pip Experience - A one practice session affair, around DIY period. Me on bass, Ubi Jan and Kuya Kim. We played Kim's originals. The plan was to go to Quezon for a Battle of the Bands. I backed out. Still good friends, though.

The Outsiders - After DIY. Me on bass, Jun Veggies and Mang Lars. No gigs, just practice sessions playing mostly Ramones and Clash covers. I left them. They continued and are doing well now, so I've heard. Still friends.

Girlfriend - Around 2003 or 2004. Me on bass, Flormar, Francis and Ubi Jan. Strictly originals. Yes, we played once (or twice??) at Mayrics, thanks for asking. We agreed to boot me out after I went AWOL one practice. They did well after I left, an album under Monopond and an NU spot. Oh well... still friends.

Casillas/No Problem! - My good friends from DIY gave me another chance to shine. Me on guitars, Muddy, Bangky, Russel and EJ. When I joined, they mostly played oi and oldschool punk covers at undergorund gigs. Several arguments later, Russel and EJ were out, and Maki came in. We played several originals plus some good old ska and punk. On our last gig, a half-naked man with a bottle in his hands pulled the plugs of our amps and told us to go home. We did. We are all still best of friends.

...but I did take home some good stories to tell my grandchildren.

Posted byfaraday

4 comments:

RON said... April 1, 2007 at 8:09 AM  

aba, i didn't know you were in bands. you're so sosyal. =P

punks not dead!!!!!

wahahaha. =P

me lovey orange and melons.

Anonymous said... April 3, 2007 at 7:42 AM  

di ba kaya nga andami chicks na panay tingin sa kin?

and no. just like god, punk is dead.

orange and melons...yummy...

Unsugarcoated Reviews said... April 13, 2007 at 4:06 AM  

wow that's a lot of bands hehe

Anonymous said... April 13, 2007 at 10:52 AM  

yup... please send a SASE and i'll mail you an autographed pic :)

Post a Comment